A few days ago I mentioned a communication I had with someone from the RUDD Center who shared information from the Center for Science in the Public Interest re the current status of the menu/vending labeling laws.

Today, Hannah Jones from CSPI responded and suggested that I sign up for their action news letter.  I am going to do so as soon as I finish this post.  The content from her email is below.  When I responded, to thank her, I did ask if she had any updates on the FOP situation.  Notice that there is a link below, if you would like to sign up for the newsletter or just visit their website.
Thanks for reaching out.  We don't have a specific list for menu labeling, but one way to stay informed of our policy issues is to sign up for CSPI's Action Network: 
http://my.cspinet.org/site/PageServer
I'll also add you to the nutrition policy database, which we use to send out periodic updates and action requests.

You're right, things are moving slowly for menu labeling at the moment.  As I'm sure you are aware, menu labeling passed in 2010 as part of the Affordable Care Act; however, the FDA is still working to finalize the details of the regulations.  Unfortunately some industry members (mainly supermarkets, convenience stores and movie theaters) want to be exempt from menu labeling and are lobbying the Administration pretty aggressively to get out of the law.  It will be interesting to see what happens.
 
Top