I am a strong believer in the physical exam, medical history and clinician insight in regards to diagnosis.  I often ask a doctor how a "film" is going to change the treatment recommendation and more often than not, I choose, I choose because I am in charge of me, not to have a scan.  [this does not mean that I categorically dismiss them but that I make an informed decision about their use].

The article that I am linking you to now is about a survey that collected responses from physicians that order these tests .  It supports previous research that suggests that many CTs, MRIs etc are ordered not to improve outcomes but to prevent law suits.  And don't go blaming just the doctors - some people are the opposite of me and demand to be scanned.

Trust me - cost is not the only issue.  Discomfort and in some cases radiation are additional concerns.
 
Top